Record Details

NHER Number:311
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval finds and features, 10 to 11 Tombland


Demolition work in 1976 revealed a vaulted brick cellar and two wells. Also uncovered was a cess pit containing post medieval pottery fragments and a glass bottle of 1722.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 23334 08840
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

July-December 1974. Restoration and renovation of houses. No finds.

1976. Demolition of standing building and excavation of cellar.
There were a series of brick arches of the vaulted cellar with alcoves behind them. Within these were a number of triangular-headed, brick capped niches, one on each of the outer walls.
Across the middle of the site were two wells (unexcavated).
Just outside the alcove in the east wall was a cess pit with the remains of a chute in the east wall. All the finds came from this.
Late post medieval pottery and a glass bottle inscribed 'John Burges 1722'.
Fragments of six Staffordshire combed ware plates, one stamped TS.
Two Delft plates. Two fragments of Westerwald. Tin glazed earthenware.
Lead glazed earthenware.
M. Atkin (NCM).

Monument Types

  • CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CESS PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BOTTLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished document: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.

Related records

Mon 1252Parent of: 10-11 Tombland (Monument)
Site 1021Parent of: 10-11 Tombland (Monument)
Site 1506Parent of: 10-11 Tombland (Monument)
Mon 356Parent of: 8 Tombland (Monument)
Mon 804Part of: Tombland (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service