Record Details

NHER Number:30997
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of World War Two searchlight battery

Summary

A World War Two searchlight battery is visible on aerial photographs taken in 1946. It comprised three joined circular earthworks and a fourth circular earthwork located 60m to north. The area around the battery was used by the military during preparations for D Day. No evidence survives on the surface.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 7413 1662
Map Sheet:TF71NW
Parish:EAST WALTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

31 January 1946. RAF aerial photography.
Group of three circular, banked structures (approximately 10m diameter) with single one 60m to north. The group of three are joined (clover leaf style) and all have central mark. Searchlight battery.
Area known to have been used by military for preparation for D Day. Information from member of the public [1].
Other circular structures show to south and may be related to this activity. One pillbox extant (NHER 12154, context 1).
B. Cushion (NLA), January 1995.

January 1995. Visit.
No convincing surface evidence for the battery, single one was on a ridge, although member of the public [1] says concrete bases exist.
B. Cushion (NLA), January 1995.

Monument Types

  • SEARCHLIGHT BATTERY (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF 71/TF 7416 A.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service