|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible garden features and post medieval kitchen garden wall|
Two post medieval flint pillars overlook a drop to the valley floor. These are probably garden features. These may be the remains of a folly. There is also the remains of a post medieval brick kitchen garden wall belonging to the Old Rectory (NHER 30723).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7902 2419|
|Parish:||LITTLE MASSINGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Flint pillars noted by H. Paterson (A&E) under NHER 25139, now located and described.
Both approximately 1.5m high x 6m apart, in overgrown former garden. West one, around 80cm x 55cm, with layer faces of knapped flint, other faces with mortar. Flint courses appear to be on end. East one, around 55cm x 55cm, again with two faces of knapped flint and others with mortar. Do not appear aligned together, no other sign of footings etc. They overlook a 2+m drop to valley floor to west. Possible folly remains, but the knapped flint suggests otherwise.
Kitchen garden of Old Rectory to north have walls of post medieval brick.
B. Cushion (NLA), July 1994.
- GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources - none
|30723||Related to: Site of Old Rectory and undated boundary banks at Glebelands (Monument)|
Find out more...