|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Maltings, Shelfanger Road|
An 18th century maltings, arranged around a courtyard within the site of a medieval moat, see NHER 12055. The maltings were in use until 1994, and the buildings have now been converted into a shopping complex.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1149 8012|
|Parish:||DISS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
June 1972. Listed, Grade II.
"M and S laid the first brick. The 19 May 1788" inscribed on roundel in centre of 2-storey red brick range, "L" shaped on plan, with return elevation North. Recessed arched panels along both elevations. Moulded grey brick eaves cornice. Slate roof with four small dormers. Windows with gauged flat arches at each floor.
Information from (S1).
P. Watkins (HES), 15 March 2019.
5 May 1994. Visit.
Within area of former moated site NHER 12055.
Building forms 4 ranges around courtyard of which only the outer side of east and north ranges seen.
Red brick, Flemish bond.
Blank arches rise through two storeys, within them are flat-arched windows on two levels, the lower ones with shutters. The east range has 13 of these arched bays plus two plain bays (the second from each end) which contain only a
ground floor window, now blocked.
The centre arched bay has instead of an upper window a round stone plaque inscribed in copperplate 'M & S laid the first brick The 19 May 1788'.
North range has 11 arched bays in the same style.
Roofs of slate.
At northwest corner is a tower, mostly of recent brickwork.
At southeast corner is a projecting block having in its north wall three full height rounded windows within arches, each under a separate pyramid roof, and two arched bays to the east. Very good external condition.
E. Rose (NAU) 6 May 1994.
(S2) states that a small building attached to the south-east projection is the only remnant of the original Diss electric power station; it has a brick barrel vault.
E. Rose (NLA) 31 August 1995.
Conversion to supermarket almost complete; external elevations to east and north, at least, unchanged.
The maltings were acquired by Beaven's Maltings in the 1950s, and continued in use as until 1994.
- MALTINGS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POWER STATION (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 303. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995-1996. [Articles on the proposed convert The Maltings on Shelfanger Road into a shopping centre]. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049689. |
|<S2>||Fiche: NIAS. NIAS Survey. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Report: Patrick, A. 2006. E. S. Beaven (Maltings) Ltd Maltings in Norfolk: Diss and Great Yarmouth. |
Related records - none
Find out more...