Record Details

NHER Number:3057
Type of record:Monument
Name:The Great Stone of Lyng

Summary

A large erratic stone set beside a public foot path. The stone is subject to local legends, including the allegations that it bleeds, that birds cannot be heard singing near it and that treasure is buried beneath it.

Images

  • The Great Stone of Lyng. Local legend says that it bleeds, that birds cannot be heard singing near it and that treasure is buried beneath it.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0796 1706
Map Sheet:TG01NE
Parish:LYNG, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

A large erratic stone rests at this location.
Tom Martin referred to is as the great stone of Lyng in about 1730 (S2).
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

March 1994. Field Observation.
The stone is set beside the public footpath, on the west, in a deep gulley in woodland. It is a toad shaped stone about 2m long by 1.5m thick and wide, formed of some sort of layered conglomerate. Grid references were corrected on the ground.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 November 1994.

April 2005. Field Observation.
Local legend states that birds cannot be heard singing in the vicinity of the stone.
This was proved to be untrue by E. Rose (NLA). Description otherwise remains the same.
E. Rose (NLA), 4 April 2005.

Local legends about the stone include that it bleeds and there is treasure buried beneath it.
See (S1) in file.
D. Gurney (NLA), 12 April 2005.

Monument Types

  • STONE (Unknown date)
  • STONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • Carved Stone (Undated)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Q 23-4.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1939. The King's Grove, Lyng. A Giant Boulder and its Legends. 13 March.
<S2>Unpublished document: Martin, T.. 1772. Church Notes.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service