|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period finds scatter|
Prehistoric pot boilers, pottery dating from the Roman to the post medieval periods, and fragments of medieval stonework have been found during fieldwalking. An oval enclosure cropmark previously recorded at this site is now recorded as NHER 36134.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9583 1514|
|Parish:||GRESSENHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Oval cropmark previously recorded as part of this site is now recorded as NHER 36134.
Large scatter including NHER 2801.
February/March 1994. Near site NHER 2801.
1 medieval unglazed fragment shelly limestone ?window drip mould, fragment slab oolitic limestone ?Medieval.
South and southeast of site NHER 2801: 1 medieval unglazed, 1 glazed Grimston ware base.
At TF 9590 1490: 14 Glazed Red Earthenware, 2 medieval unglazed, 1 Late medieval/early post medieval.
Area centred TF 958 154: 1 base Roman greyware, 1 body sherd pimply Ipswich, 1 medieval unglazed bowl rim.
Area centred TF 958 153: 1 medieval unglazed jar rim, 1 Samian footring, 1 Late medieval/early post medival/Glazed Red Earthenware.
Area centred TF 958 154 (7 April 1994): 1 scrap of probable Roman greyware. 1 oxidised body sherd with sparse rounded voids, Roman or post medieval. 7 medieval unglazed, 1 base Glazed Grimston, 1 Late medieval/early post medieval and Glazed Red Earthenware.
Pot boilers noted by farm.
Brick and tile on plan are recent. Plan in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), April 1994.
27 and 28 January 1997.
Lump of oolitic limestone at TF 9570 1515.
1 body sherd Glazed Grimston and 4 body sherds unglazed medieval at TF 9571 1491.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 5 February 1997.
- BURNT MOUND (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT BOILER (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WORKED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...