Record Details

NHER Number:30494
Type of record:Monument
Name:Little Barwick Park

Summary

Little Barwick Park can be dated to the late 18th century. The woodland was increased in the early 19th century, with an avenue extending beyond the park to the south. A large ha ha is marked on an Ordnance Survey map to the south of the park.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 802 357
Map Sheet:TF83NW
Parish:BARWICK, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK
STANHOE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

The house (NHER 20953) which Barwick park surrounds was built in 1742 on the site of the deserted medieval settlement of Little Barwick (NHER 1924). The park itself covers an area of about 28 hectares. Road closure orders for 1792 show a number of public roads were to be closed, probably directly in relation to the creation of the park. The park is shown on (S3); it depicts a substantial area of woodland in the east, but suggests that the rest of the area was still divided into fields. A number of trees seem to survive from the pre-park landscape especially along the lines of the closed roads. (S4) shows the house surrounded by pasture and woodland, covering much the same area as on (S3). The pasture area around the house was still subdivided by boundaries. These areas of pasture were screened from the wider agricultural landscape by tree belts and plantations. The house was screened from these areas of pasture on the west by an internal tree belt. (S4) also shows an elongated linear plantation in the southern part of the park, designed as an avenue. (S5) and (S6) show a very similar pattern of land use to that depicted on (S4). Some changes, however, had been made including the disappearance of some of the internal divisions, and the avenue had become simply a linear plantation. (S7) shows large ha ha across southern area of park.
See (S1) for more information. Also see (S2), (S3), (S4), (S5), (S6) and (S7) for more details.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 March 1994.
Updated by E. Nicholl (UEA), 8 November 2011

Monument Types

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TREE AVENUE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PARK (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • HA HA (Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

<S1>Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk..
<S2>Scheduling Record: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England..
<S3>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S4>Map: 1846. Barwick Tithe Map..
<S5>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1889 - 1891. Ordnance Survey first edition 6 inch map.. 1:10,560.
<S6>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906 to 1907. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map.
<S7>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1985. Ordnance Survey 1:10,000.

Related records

43996Part of: Barwick Hall (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service