Record Details

NHER Number:30423
Type of record:Building
Name:Forge House, The Green

Summary

An early 16th century timber framed house, with extensive 18th and 19th century alterations. The house contains excellent examples of early 16th century ceilings.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8315 4215
Map Sheet:TF84SW
Parish:BURNHAM MARKET, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Early 16th century house.
Repair works uncovered a ceiling with joists and midwall rails carved with multiple roll mouldings, see (S1).
Visited by sources [2] and [3] who state that this appears to be a high quality early 16th century ceiling, integral with the building, and the statement in (S1) that it is a 14th century ceiling from Creake Abbey cannot be accepted.
The photograph in (S1) confirms this.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 February 1994.

Now added to (S2) as Grade II, (S2) also states that there is stonework in the building (presumably reused); the tiebeams are cranked to the first floor; a small open fireplace incorporates a herringbone brick back of 16th century date from a larger predecessor; roof is late 18th century.
E. Rose (NLA) 31 March 1994

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 229.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF4519.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Shop work has owner beaming. 21 February.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1263759.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service