|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Late Saxon to post medieval finds and features, 84 to 98 St George's Street/11 to 13 Muspole Street|
Excavations in 1976 revealed part of the city's Late Saxon defensive ditch and 12th to 13th century pits. The earliest evidence of occupation on the site indicates it was used for iron-working. From the mid 14th century a series of clay-walled buildings were constructed, being rebuilt in flint in about 1500 and then again in the mid 16th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2298 0909|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
1976. Site excavated by M.W.Atkin for the Norwich Survey.
The earliest feature found was the outer lip of the 10th/11th century defence ditch running along St Georges Street sealing 12th to 13th century pits.
The earliest occupation on the site consisted of a series of hearths and furnaces associated with a workshop area.
This was primarily an iron smithing industry with some smelting also carried out. The earliest domestic occupation was of about 1300.
From mid 14th century series of clay walled buildings.
In about 1500 the buildings were reconstructed with flint rubble plinths and fireplaces.
Mid 16th century, the existing buildings were rebuilt full flint rubble walls to first floor level.
In the late 17th century ownership of the property was divided.
All new building on the site was carried out in brick.
See file for further details.
Alan Carter Building Survey.
3D drawing of range of buildings that occupied this site. No date or other information given.
K. Robbins (NLA), 23 October 2008.
A ground floor plan of now demolished 84 St George's Street can be found in the 1827 Norwich Town Clerk's Deeds (NRO).
See copy in file (from A. Carter archive).
P. Watkins (HES), 17 October 2017.
- DITCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- TOWN DEFENCES (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FURNACE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HEARTH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Jennings, S. 1981. Eighteen Centuries of Pottery from Norwich. East Anglian Archaeology. No 13. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Building Survey, Alan Carter. |
|---||Record Card: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||*Rolled Plan: Large Plan Exists. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Atkin, M. 1977. Norfolk: Norwich [Norwich Survey excavation in 1976]. |
|<S2>||Article in Monograph: Atkin, M. 1985. Excavations on Alms Lane (Site 302N). Excavations in Norwich 1971-1978; Part II. East Anglian Archaeology. Atkin, M., Carter, A. and Evans, D. H.. No 26 pp 144-260. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: 1979. [unknown]. Current Archaeology. Vol 68 pp 280-284. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Webster, L. E. and Cherry, J. 1977. Medieval Britain in 1976. Medieval Archaeology. Vol XXI pp 204-262. p 246. |
|<S5>||Publication: 1976. Archaeol.Ex.. p.140. |
|Mon 654||Parent of: 84-98 St Georges Street/11-13 Muspole Street (Alms Lane) (Monument)|
|Mon 655||Parent of: 84-98 St Georges Street/11-13 Muspole Street (Alms Lane) (Monument)|
|Site 1012||Parent of: 84-98 St. Georges Street / 11-13 Muspole Street (Alms Lane) (Monument)|
Find out more...