|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Oxnead Lock Cut|
A canal built between the late 18th and mid 19th centuries to avoid Oxnead Mill, see NHER 7660.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2286 2391|
|Parish:||BRAMPTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Canal, built to avoid Oxnead Mill, see NHER 7660.
The millstream itself seems to be a diversion of the river superceding the old course, which is now a backwater further south. Probably part of the Bure Navigation Canal of 1775, see NHER 29856, but might be as late as the 1851 rebuilding of the mill.
(S1) does not seem to show this canal, but it does mark 'lock' by the mill which suggests its omission may be a mistake. The pound walls of the eastern lock, of yellow brick, survived in 1993, as does the western, which has been transformed into a cascade by dumping bags of cement.
E. Rose (NLA) 26 July 1993.
- CANAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LOCK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
Related records - none
Find out more...