Record Details

NHER Number:2979
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Hingham

Summary

A big church, more than fifty metres long, with a huge west tower that is a landmark for miles around. It is a notable building in that it is virtually all of one construction, having been built in the later years of Remigius of Hethersett, rector here from 1319 to 1359. New windows, a clerestory to the nave and a vestry were added in the 15th century. Alterations followed in the 17th century and the Victorians carried out an extensive restoration in the late 19th century, most of the interior dating from that time. The tower is very imposing, having large windows at three levels on its west face over a decorated doorway. Indeed the windows throughout the church are of great size, particularly the enormous east window, one of the biggest in England. This is entirely filled with early 16th century glass imported from Germany, bought by Lord Wodehouse in 1813.
The interior of the church is striking, the soaring nave being crowned by a very good hammerbeam roof of 1872, and those of the aisles with winged angels. Probably the most impressive feature is the huge 15th century red stone memorial to Thomas, Lord Morley and his wife, on the north wall of the chancel, and reaching its full height. Some think the memorial is reminiscent of the Erpingham Gate at Norwich Cathedral. The most famous person commemorated in the church is Abraham Lincoln, whose bust was placed in an alcove in the north aisle in 1919. He himself was not from the village, but some of his ancestors lived there before emigrating two hundred years before his presidency.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0218 0212
Map Sheet:TG00SW
Parish:HINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

An apse is stated to have been found; otherwise church almost all of 1319 to 1359, with the addition of windows and a clerestory and vestry in 15th century, alterations in mid 17th and late 19th centuries.
Important tomb of 1466 and good set of later memorials.
Various important furnishings such as Charles II bushel measure.
See report (S1), photographs (S2) old prints and newspaper cuttings (S3)-(S5) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 April 1992.

Churchyard graded by Norfolk Historic Gardens Survey as two star (of regional importance).
See survey for details.

This is one of the sixty five Norfolk churches selected for (S6).
D. Gurney (NLA), 17 February 2006.

A big church, more than fifty metres long, with a huge west tower that is a landmark for miles around. It is a notable building in that it is virtually all of one construction, having been built in the later years of Remigius of Hethersett, rector here from 1319 to 1359. New windows, a clerestory to the nave and a vestry were added in the 15th century. Alterations followed in the 17th century and the Victorians carried out an enthusiastic restoration in the late 19th century, most of the interior being from that time. The tower is very imposing, having large windows at three levels on its west face over a decorated doorway. Indeed the windows throughout the church are of great size, particularly the enormous east window, one of the biggest in England. This is entirely filled with early 16th century glass imported from Germany, bought by Lord Wodehouse in 1813.
The interior of the church is striking, the soaring nave being crowned by a very good hammerbeam roof of 1872, and those of the aisles with winged angels. Probably the most impressive feature is the huge 15th century red stone memorial to Thomas, Lord Morley and his wife, on the north wall of the chancel, and reaching its full height. Some think the memorial is reminiscent of the Erpingham Gate at Norwich Cathedral.
The most famous person commemorated in the church is Abraham Lincoln, whose bust was placed in an alcove in the north aisle in 1919. He himself was not from the village, but some of his ancestors lived there before emigrating two hundred years before his presidency.
P. Aldridge (NLA), 2 March 2006.

Monument Types

  • PIT (Unknown date)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • VESSEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG0202 A,B,C-H,J-M.
---Article in serial: Fawcett, R. 1980. A Group of Churches by the Architect of Great Walsingham. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVII Pt III pp 277-294. p 277.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1997. TG 0201B - D.
---Website: Knott, S.. 2006. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/hingham/hingham.htm.
---Monograph: Mortlock, D. and Roberts, C.. 1985. The Popular Guide To Norfolk Churches: No. 2. Norwich, Central and South Norfolk..
---Serial: Pevsner, N.. The Buildings of England..
---Leaflet: Hingham Parish Church: Norfolk..
---Monograph: Hart, S.. 2010. Medieval Church Window Tracery in England. pp 63-4.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1996. Building Report..
<S2>Photograph: FWD 20-23.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Getting in time again. 15 February.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Church falls out with its Friends over fundraisers. 30 April.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. You're all sacked, rector tells choir. 1 December.
<S6>Monograph: Jenkins, S.. 2000. England's Thousand Best Churches..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service