|Type of record:||Find Spot|
A Late Saxon Borre style brooch, a medieval coin, a medieval horse harness mount, a medieval silver annular brooch and an early post medieval belt mount were found at this spot by metal detectorists.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 62 03|
|Parish:||DOWNHAM MARKET, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
February 1993. Metal detecting..
Late Saxon 'Borre style' brooch, cut away on edge to form two incurved areas opposite each other, perhaps for fastening. Pierced single pin lug on reverse. Only stub of catchplate survives; either broken in antiquity/or a casting flaw or it may have never existed.
To be photographed.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 5 April 1993.
5 February 1999 or earlier. Metal detecting.
Medieval coin, see list in file.
Early post medieval openwork horse harness mount. Openwork, with part of leather strap attached to reverse. Copper alloy.
Early post medieval copper alloy belt mount, with tapering body, pierced with triangular and circular hole. Trefoil knop on end with two circular depressions. Stubs of two attachment spikes on reverse.
Identified by H. M. Geake (NLA).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 30 May 1999.
November 2002. Metal detecting.
Medieval silver brooch.
See description in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 9 December 2002.
Annular brooch found November 2002 disclaimed as Treasure.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 13 December 2002.
January- February 2009. Metal detecting
15th/16th-centuary coin weight, 1 post-medieval coin & token, post-medieval harness mount and button.
See description in file
A. Rogerson (NLA) 3 March 2009
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BROOCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- ANNULAR BROOCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN WEIGHT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- HARNESS MOUNT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HARNESS FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I&RS. Finds Polaroid. Polaroid. |
|---||Photograph: 1993. LFG 33-36, Late Saxon borre style brooch.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...