|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Earthwork of post medieval road, Barningham Park|
An earthwork causeway was surveyed in 1993. The causeway is the remains of a post medieval road shown on Faden's map of 1797 to the west of Barningham Hall, NHER 6569. The road had been taken into the park by 1836.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 143 353|
|Parish:||MATLASK, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Linear feature - track/?hollow way visible on vertical air photograph taken as part of NCC/BKS survey of Norfolk, 1988.
Site located during NLA/RCHM earthwork survey, January 1993.
M. Flitcroft (NLA) March 1993.
19 February 1993. Site visited in NLA/RCHM earthwork survey fieldwork.
Causeway up to 0.3m high, with spread of 11m in best preserved section in woodland at southern end, up to 20m in parkland where ploughing and reseeding have taken place. Flint scatter in places, with distinct evidence near cattle trough just south of avenue of trees in centre of extent. Less distinct features for 50m immediately north of avenue.
Corresponds to roadway to west edge of park on (S1). Emparked by (S2).
B. Cushion (NLA) February 1993.
- CAUSEWAY (Unknown date)
- SITE (Unknown date)
- ROAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Vertical Aerial Photograph: BKS/NCC 4436. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|30431||Part of: Barningham Park (Monument)|
Find out more...