Record Details

NHER Number:2933
Type of record:Building
Name:St Helen's Church, Gateley


The earliest parts of this church are Saxon although it may contain some Roman building material. The nave, tower and south porch are in Perpendicular style. The chancel was built in 1866. The base of the rood screen dates to around 1500 and is decorated with painted saints.


  • St Helen's Church, Gateley. Photograph from  © S. Knott


Grid Reference:TF 9600 2453
Map Sheet:TF92SE

Full description

November 1978. Visit.
R. R. Clarke (NCM) noted that Roman tiles were alleged in a round headed arch on south side nave (by (S1) and (S2) etc) but that he had investigated them on 28 June 1950 and found them to be late medieval. This is very odd, as the arch mentioned is an Late Saxon doorway of ironbound conglomerate blocked by southwest buttress, no external trace of tiles: interior inaccessible at time of visit, but through windows arch seemed not to be visible on inside; perhaps plastered over since. Conglomerate courses in south wall, and blocks reused elsewhere. Present north and south doorways of around 1300. Nave and tower Perpendicular; two shields on southwest buttress. Tower has rectangular vice, belfry windows part blocked. Later battlements. Perpendicular south porch with three niches, central one with pedestal. Arch braced nave roof. Chancel of 1866. Base of screen around 1500 with painted saints. Carved bench ends and back boards. 17th century communion rail. Consecration cross painted by north door. Large monument of 1803 (all seen through windows). Chalice and paten cover 1703; chalice 1731: paten 1768. Good gravestones.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 November 1978.

V&A has paintings of the screen made in 19th century by Hamlet Watling, the Suffolk painter of antiquities.
Information from (S3) in (S4).

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Ladbrooke AR 21-22.
---Aerial Photograph: TF9624 A-C,H-J,M,N.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1903. Hundred of Launditch. The Churches of Norfolk. pp 86-94.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 351-352.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Gateley.
<S1>Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. p 181.
<S2>Monograph: Bryant, J.. 1900. Norfolk Churches..
<S3>Unpublished Document: 1889. V&A Accessions Book.
<S4>Article in Serial: Plunkett, S. J. 1997. Hamlet Watling, Artist and Schoolmaster, 1818-1908. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Vol XXXIX Pt 1 pp 48-75. p 70.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service