|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Ford and trackway of unknown date|
A ford and trackway across the River Wensum, of unknown date.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9970 2189|
|Parish:||BILLINGFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Old trackway over hill passing flagstaff, apparently leads from the Old Ford across the Wensum at TF 9949 2178 (context 1).
It may have been line of communication to the Saxon and older settlement at North Elmham.
I don't know of any other ford in the river for some miles.
A.Q. Watson (NCM), 21 November 1936.
- FORD (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FORD (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FORD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources - none
Related records - none
Find out more...