|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Ford and trackway of unknown date|
A ford and trackway across the River Wensum, of unknown date.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9970 2189|
|Parish:||BILLINGFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Old trackway over hill passing flagstaff, apparently leads from the Old Ford across the Wensum at TF 9949 2178 (context 1).
It may have been line of communication to the Saxon and older settlement at North Elmham.
I don't know of any other ford in the river for some miles.
A.Q. Watson (NCM), 21 November 1936.
- FORD (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FORD (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FORD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 92 SE 1. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Miscellaneous. Billingford. |
Related records - none
Find out more...