|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Roman and Early Saxon metalwork objects|
In around 1989 a number of Roman and Early Saxon objects, possibly from Watton, were purchased by Norwich Castle Musuem. These comprised a Roman bronze button and loop fastener, a Roman terret fragment, Roman enamelled brooches, a Roman or Early Saxon pin and part of an Early Saxon girdle hanger.
Images - none
|Parish:||WATTON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1989 or before. Possibly from Watton. Purchased.
Roman bronze button and loop fastener (enamelled) type 5b (2nd century).
Bronze terret fragment.
Enamelled pelta brooch, only red enamel left (1st/2nd century).
Enamelled shield brooch (only blue enamel left (1st/2nd century).
Bronze pin Roman or Early Saxon.
Early Saxon ?decorated girdle hanger fragment.
Polaroids taken by NCM, copies (S1) in file.
Identifications by A. Gregory (NAU) 2 February 1990.
Information from member of the public 
W. Milligan (NCM) 14 February 1990.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HARNESS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- GIRDLE HANGER (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- PIN (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Photograph: I&RS. Finds Polaroid. Polaroid. |
Related records - none
Find out more...