|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Iron Age coin|
Metal-detecting in 1992 recovered an Iron Age gold coin. A fieldwalking and metal-detecting survey of part of this field in 2008 recovered prehistoric worked flints; medieval and post-medieval pottery sherds; a possibly post-medieval pantile fragment; a medieval coin and a post-medieval button.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||Not displayed|
|Parish:||CORPUSTY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
April 1992. Metal-detecting.
Found by  at :
1 Iron Age coin. Iceni gold stater, Early Freckenham type (compare to examples in (S1)). See (S2).
Identified J. Davies (NCM) 5 May 1992.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 30 May 2019.
March-April 2008. Systematic Fieldwalking and Metal-detecting Survey.
Field survey on proposed route of Sheringham Shoals Offshore Windfarm Grid Connection (Field 38).
Finds recovered included:
1 prehistoric flint bifacially flaked piece and 1 retouched flake.
1 medieval coin and 1 pottery sherd.
5 post-medieval pottery sherds and 1 copper alloy button.
1 ?post-medieval pantile.
1 undatable lead sheet.
See report (S3) for further details. This work is also noted in (S4)
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2017.361).
S. Howard (NLA), 20 November 2009. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 30 May 2019.
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SHEET (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- RETOUCHED FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PANTILE? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Monograph: Van Arsdell, R.. 1989. Celtic Coinage in Britain.. 620-7. |
|<S2>||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Westall, S. and Smith, M. 2008. An Archaeological Fieldwalking and Metal-detector Survey Along the Route of the Sheringham Shoal Offshore Wind Farm Onshore Grid Connection. NAU Archaeology. 1808a. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Hoggett, R. 2010. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2009. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLVI Pt I pp 135-147. p 146. |
Related records - none
Find out more...