Record Details

NHER Number:28918
Type of record:Building
Name:The Manor House, Mount Street

Summary

An 18th-century brick mansion, with a semi circular Doric porch, partially rebuilt in brick during the 19th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 1181 8024
Map Sheet:TM18SW
Parish:DISS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

December 1950. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
18th century, two-storey and attic, red brick, plinth, pantiles, three sash dormers. Eaves cornice. Five windows and one window wing set back, north recesses sashes with glazing bars and gauged flat arches, six-panel door with patterned side lights and radial bar fanlight. Half-round porch in modified Doric order. Garden front, south five flush frame sash window with glazing bars and gauged flat arches with keys, including central arched staircase window. Service wing north-east corner.
Information from (S1).
P. Watkins (HES), 13 May 2019.

18th century mansion, said to have been in the same family since 1740 thus providing a terminus ante quem. Red brick, two storeys and attic. Main 5 bay facade with additional bay set back, and three dormers; recessed sashes; dentilled modillion cornice. Central door with half round Doric porch. Garden front (at right angles to facade) has keystones to windows and tall rounded central staircase window. Service wing to northeast, said to contain many original features.
See sale advertisement (S2).
E. Rose (NLA) 6 April 1992.

South Norfolk District Council say there is a garden front which they believe is older than the facade to the street.
E. Rose (NLA) 24 February 1994.

According to (S5) the house was built by Philip Meadows, a young Diss attorney.
E. Rose (NLA) 25 February 1998.

It is also stated in (S5) that by 1885 the grounds has been laid out a small lawn with a thin belt of mixed planting, and a kitchen garden with two small glasshouses. The grounds are depicted in some 19th century sketches, showing mature timber trees and the view of the church from the gardens.
S. Spooner (NLA) 25 October 2005.

The stables to the north of the house (examined by E. Rose in 1994) are now recorded separately as NHER 63226.
P. Watkins (HES), 13 March 2019.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: GYT 18-24, EPX.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 302.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049718.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. [Sale advertisement for Manor House, Diss]. 3 April.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1994. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S4>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S5>Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. Norfolk Gardens Trust.

Related records

63226Parent of: Manor House stables (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service