Record Details

NHER Number:2883
Type of record:Building
Name:The Guildhall

Summary

The earliest parts of the Guildhall of the guild of St Withburga date to around 1500. Only one visible wall of this early building survives. The rest was converted into a large mansion after the guild dissolved in 1548. The mansion was probably built in the 17th century although most of the building has been significantly altered and part of it now dates to the 18th century and the rest to the 19th century. There are several 17th century garden walls and further walls were uncovered during excavation of the car park. The stable block was built around 1800 and has now been converted into a conference centre. There is a Cold War nuclear shelter under the car park.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9879 1315
Map Sheet:TF91SE
Parish:DEREHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

June 1978. Visit.
Guildhall.
Blocked stone edges doorways in brick wall on northwest, apparently 16th century, crude; old work said also to remain in
cellar. Otherwise long 18th century house, main facade to south. Doric porch with columns between side walls to west 19th century.School room on east. Good Norwich Union Fire Insurance plaque. Buildings to north destroyed in zeppelin raid 1915.
E. Rose (NAU), 27 June 1978.

1980. Excavation.
Large area of excavation about 2m deep to southeast for extension revealed nothing except redeposited 19th century bricks, and base of garden wall. Chimneys of house altered at this time.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 April 1980.

March 1986. Excavation.
In car park from nuclear shelter.
Method of excavation precluded any stratification being seen. Two walls encountered, one probably modern and part of a drain. The other on a footing of crushed pink brick and rammed chalk was probably 18th century.
J. J. Wymer (NAU), 12 March 1986.

August 2003. Survey.
Guildhall of around 1500, of which only one visible wall with doors and windows remains. Large mansion, probably 17th century origin, now part 18th part early 19th century. 17th century garden walls. Stable block around 1800 converted to conference centre. Nuclear shelter under car park.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 August 2003.

May 2009.
Planning permission sought for the construction of a new brick boundary wall with gateway.
See (S2) and (S3).
H. White (NLA), 1 June 2009

Monument Types

  • GUILDHALL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SERPENTINE WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • NUCLEAR BUNKER (Cold War - 1945 AD to 1992 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
---Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
---Photograph: Unknown.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Dereham.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report..
<S2>Unpublished document: Swaffham Architectural Ltd.. 2009. Design and Access Statement, The Old Guildhall, St Withburga Lane, Dereham.
<S3>Unpublished document: Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk. 2013. Planning application.. 13/00320/F.

Related records

MNO951Related to: The Guildhall St. Withburga Lane (east side) DEREHAM (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service