Record Details

NHER Number:2856
Type of record:Monument
Name:Probable medieval moated site

Summary

This is the location of a probable medieval moated site. A medieval gold coin was found here in 1863 and excavation in 1964 found the remains of a well and a possible clay courtyard within the moated area. Documents suggest this may have been the location of a grange of the Bishop of Ely before it was converted into a vicarage. The development of a new road in 1983 led to the recovery of finds concentrated in the north where medieval and post medieval activity may have been located.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:Not displayed
Map Sheet:TF91SE
Parish:DEREHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

1863.
Rectory moated site.
Gold medieval coin found.

1964. Excavation for Dereham Archaeological Society.
Vicarage garden.
Moated site reported, with flint and brick lined well containing mostly 18th to 19th century sherds but also two 16th century sherds. Section opened inside moated area revealed clay ?courtyard.
(S1) adds 'Saxon gold ring found during excavation'.

1978. Visit.
No trace of moat was visible on markings as shown on (S2) which lie in the garden and the golfcourse. (S3) marks a roughly circular area encircled by wet ditches to the west. The ditches of this area were broad on the east, where crossed by a brick bridge, but narrow on the other sides. The island was overgrown but being cleared. (S4) shows this ?moat with a pond to the north and shows the rest of the vicarage grounds exactly as on (S3) with nothing indicated around the vicarage resembling a square moat. The vicarage itself built in 1807 and (S5) states that it is built on 'the site of a large medieval house, the moats of which remain'. (S6) adds that the medieval house was a grange of the Bishop of Ely later made into a vicarage. A. Carter (UEA) also states that he believed the circularditched site to be the mmoat. So did R.R. Clarke only have a verbal account and did he understand this to mean the moat surrounded the vicarage when it was really to the west, or were there two moats?
E. Rose (NAU), 27 June 1978.

1982.
(S7) reinforces the interpretation of an earlier grange of the Bishop of Ely that was later converted to a vicarage.
E. Rose, 26 march 1982.

1983. Excavation. Context 1.
New housing estate built with access road from St Withburgas Lane on east and covering south part of golfcourse and grounds and extending into site NHER 2873. Roman, medieval, sherds, flints found in spoil from new road spread around the building plots. No finds in south part of area (NHER 2873) suggesting medieval or post medieval activity may be concentrated to the north.
A. Rogerson, (NAU), 24 June 1983.

Monument Types

  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • YARD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Undated)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
  • FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINGER RING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF9813 ABU.
---Article in serial: Hollis, D. W. 1977. A Mid-Seventeenth Century View of East Dereham Manor. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt IV pp 342-354. p 342.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Dereham.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Dereham.
<S1>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards.
<S2>Map: NCM. NCM Record Map.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S4>Map: 1815. Dereham Enclosure Map.
<S5>Scheduling record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S6>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards.
<S7>Article in serial: Hollis, D. W. 1977. A Mid-Seventeenth Century View of East Dereham Manor. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt IV pp 342-354. p 342.

Related records

46173Related to: The Vicarage, St Withburga Lane (Building)
33465Related to: Vicarage Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service