|Type of record:||Building|
This post medieval great house may have been first built in the early 18th century and, if so, has been significantly altered since. The brick façade dates to the 19th century, as does the flint rear wing.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9776 1636|
|Parish:||HOE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
October 1978. Field Observation.
Bryant (S1) claims that this house is early 18th century, now much altered. This could be true of the rear of the house, which is brick with a later flint wing, but the façade is an Edwardian copy of a Georgian style.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 October 1978.
January 1997. Field Observation. House seen in detail.
The central block is of three bays, three storeys to the front and rear, constructed of flemish bond brickwork without skintlings and wave moulded brick cornice and dentils. The windows are all 19th century copies. The roof structure, hipped sides around a flat centre and with two arcaded stacks, also seems a later rebuilding and there is a graffiti 1866 on one chimneystack. Only a couple of old chamfered ground floor beams are visible. The rear wing is constructed of flint with brick quoins and is 19th century. The wrap-around façade block and sides, above which there are older portion towers, is very similar to parts of Sennowe Park and must date to around 1900. However, an inventory shows it was there when the hall was leased out in 1908. Yet the lease mentions an existing electric engine. The billiard room of this period was single storey with lantern and has since been raised to two. Pevsner's comment (S2) that the centre of
the 1900 façade is said to be 18th century seems to be a misunderstanding of a second hand report.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 January 1997.
Press cuttings (S3) in file describe the sale of the estate.
2006. Documentary Research.
(S5) dates the house to the mid 19th century.
D. Robertson (NLA), 15 March 2006.
- GREAT HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 411. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1903. Hundred of Launditch. The Churches of Norfolk. p 108. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 199. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994-1995. [Sale advertisement and particular for Gorgate Hall]. |
Related records - none
Find out more...