Record Details

NHER Number:2829
Type of record:Building
Name:St Margaret's Church, Worthing

Summary

This medieval and later church has a western round tower, nave and south porch. The round tower and nave probably date to the late 11th or 12th century, although they do have later features. The tower was reduced in height during the 18th century and the chancel was demolished between 1781 and the 1820s. Flintwork has been observed in a mound to the northeast of the building. This material could be the remains of a chapel recorded in 1740, although it is also possible that the chapel was located at a nearby moated site (NHER 2811).

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9949 1952
Map Sheet:TF91NE
Parish:HOE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK
WORTHING, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

1970s or 80s. Alan Carter Norwich Survey.
A structural survey was conducted, noting several periods of re-building, and architectual plans were prepared.
See (S2), which includes (S3).
T. E. Miller (NLA), 19 April 2006.

1980. Field Observation.
A parchmark and a mound are visible to the northeast of the church. A hole dug in the vicinity, later seen by P. Wade-Martins (NAU) who reported the presence of flintwork. In 1740 a 'ruined chapel some distance to the north of the church' was noted. This could refer to this building or to one at a moated site to the north (NHER 2811).
Information from (S1).
D. Robertson (NLA), 14 March 2006.

1983. Casual Find.
A corner stone in the churchyard was knocked loose by a mowing machine. The stone was placed in the church.
Information from (S1).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 17 December 2007.

1987-8. Restoration.
Repairs were made to the walls, the bell tower floor and a chimney breast. An outside flue for use with a pot-bellied stove was removed. Repointing work was also carried out on the porch.
Information from (S8) and (S9).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 17 December 2007.

1991. Field Survey.
A Saxo-Norman round towered church with a nave and south porch, a Norman doorway and Perpendicular windows. The nave was hightened when large windows were inserted. This could have taken place as late as 1535, while the porch was likely constructed in the 15th century. The tower had fallen by 1740, and the present top was constructed sometime after 1830, possibly at the same time as the present nave roof. The chancel was demolished sometime between 1740 and 1830 (likely before 1801). A unique font with a 13th century base has been preserved in the interior.
The area of the parchmarks observed in 1980 was investigated, and low earthworks were observed several feet from the church which overlap the end of the nave and the location of the former chancel. The interior of the earthworks was sunken, and headstones of 1796 and 1827 were located in the centre of the enclosure.
See report (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 July 1991.

1990's. Find.
Pieces of lead sheet from the church inscribed with shoe outlines, dates, initials and skittles were presented to the Norfolk Rural Life Museum in the 1990's. It is uncertain what part of the roof these originated from.
See note in secondary file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 17 December 2007.

2003. Photographic Survey by NLA.
A photographic survey of the of the exterior of the church was undertaken.
See list of photographs in secondary file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 17 December 2007.

March 2006.
The round tower was reduced in height to nave level in the 18th century and capped with a red brick parapet.
The south nave door is Norman, the south porch was constructed in the 15th century, the chancel was demolished between 1781 and the 1820s, and the present roof was constructed in the 19th century.
Information from (S4).
The tower was probably constructed in the 12th century and has a corrugated rile roof.
For further information see listed description.
D. Robertson (NLA), 14 March 2006.

November 2007. Norfolk NMP.
Earthworks probably relating to a former medieval chapel are visible on aerial photographs ((S5)-(S7)). An irregular roughly L-shaped earthwork mound is present in the churchyard of St Margaret’s Church, Worthing. The mound is located approximately 7m to the north of the northeast corner of the nave and measures 13m long by 9m wide. It is likely that this mound relates to the ‘ruined chapel’ recorded in 1740 (see (S1) and above).
J. Albone (NMP), 15 November 2007.

Monument Types

  • MOUND (Unknown date)
  • ROUND TOWERED CHURCH (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Ladbrooke: AS28-9.
---Aerial Photograph: TF9919A-D.
---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
---Photograph: Rose, E.. 2003. KJX 29-34.
---Unpublished document: Faculties regarding Worthing Church.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Unpublished document: E. Rose. 1991. Building Report..
<S2>Unpublished document: Carter, A.. Building Survey.
<S3>Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
<S4>Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South..
<S5>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1991. NHER TF 9919L (NLA 295/GHR6) 19-SEP-1991.
<S6>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1984. NHER TF9919A-D (NLA 147/AVY14-6) 26-APR-1984.
<S7>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1991. NHER TF 9919F-J (NLA 295/GHR1-4) 19-SEP-1991.
<S8>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Church fortunes revive.. 18 April.
<S9>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Church work.. 19 February.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service