|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Anchor Brewery, Coslany Square|
This former brewery was converted to housing in 1983-84. The yellow brick range in Coslany Street has a reconstructed early 19th century Doric shop front and has a date plaque reading 1773. To the right is a taller building of red brick with yellow details and a slate roof. The rounded corner to Westwick Street flanks a nine window range and at the rear is the Vat House. All these structures are listed as Anchor House. The former chimney base was demolished in 1983 and was the last industrial chimney of value in Norwich.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2279 0881|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
June 1972. Listed, Grade II.
See (S1) for the complete listing details.
Former brewery converted to housing 1983-4.
In Coslany Street, yellow brick range of three storeys, with reconstructed early 19th century Doric shop front. Listed building description dates this to early 19th century despite mentioning a date plaque B/TJ/1773. To right, taller four storey building of red brick with yellow details and slate roof. Seven window range with three bays defined by pilasters; first and second floor windows have rounded heads with metal glazing bars, ground and third floor have cambered brick arches. Rounded corner to Westwick Street flanks similar nine window range. Carriage arch to left. Ground floor barrel vaulted on cast iron columns. At rear, Vat House, now two storeys, central rounded door flanked by rounded windows; roof louvre on original A-frame. These all listed as Anchor House; to southeast, 6 Coslany Square is listed separately as former counting house, brick L-plan on two storeys.
Not listed is former base of chimney, demolished 1983, last industrial chimney of value in Norwich; plaque in bold relief 2m high showing anchor and name BULLARDS, now reset on wall to south.
See listed building description for full details.
Also Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society fiche survey.
E. Rose (NLA) 10 August 1998.
- (Former Type) BREWERY (18th Century to Late 20th Century - 1773 AD to 1984 AD)
- HOUSE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1984 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 265. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 328. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1206526. |
|Mon 1375||Parent of: Area of Anchor Quay (Monument)|
|Mon 697||Parent of: Junction of Westwick Street/ Coslany Street (Monument)|
|Site 1090||Parent of: Westwick Street / Coslany Street Junction (Monument)|
|Mon 1067||Part of: Coslany Street / Oak Street (Monument)|
|Mon 1171||Part of: Lower Westwick Street (Monument)|
|Mon 1389||Part of: Westwick Street (North side from Coslany Street to Charing Cross) (Monument)|
Find out more...