|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Norwich Cemetery, Bowthorpe Road|
This cemetery was first laid out in 1856 when the Home Secretary closed all of the Norwich churchyards. There are chapels by Benest and a Jewish cemetery with a chapel lies to the northeast. The north-south roadway followed an old field boundary and focused on chapels and lodges within the plot but the remarkable serpentine area in northeast corner was probably added between 1856 and 1886. There were further extensions to the northwest between 1892 and 1911 and the Soldiers Monument was in place by 1878. The section west of Farrow Road was made in 1945 and a crematorium built on site in 1964. Several Neolithic flint tools were recovered from the area of the Jewish cemetery.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2066 0885|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
First laid out 1856 when Home Secretary closed all Norwich churchyards.
Chapels by Benest and perhaps lodges also.
Jewish cemetery with chapel at northeast.
North-south roadway followed old field boundary and focused on chapels and lodges. Three hundred fir trees failed and were replaced. Remarkable serpentine area in northeast corner probably an addition between 1856 and 1886 (remainder is on grid plan). Further extensions to northwest between 1892 and 1911, including Unemployment Works in 1901. Soldiers Monument there by 1903. Fountain and rockery present by 1906. Section west of Farrow Road made in 1926. Crematorium built on site of main chapels 1964 but Catholic and Jewish chapels and lodges remain. Some paths lost to burials but much planting remains, including Thuja plicata avenue.
Norfolk Historic Gardens Survey graded as regional importance as ornamental cemetery.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 July 1998.
17 November 1994. Fieldwalking. (Formerly Numbered 885).
Norwich cemetery B church Jewish cemetery.
P. A. Robins (NCM) identified:
1) Large rounded end scraper.
2) Broken pointed end of a core tool, possibly a pick. Triangular section, snapped at fossil inclusion in the mottled grey flint. Edges fairly sharp and unabraded; slight wear at point.
Both of these tools are probably Neolithic.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 21 March 2000.
Press cuttings (S1) and (S2) in file.
2001. Registered as English Heritage Historic Park grade II.
Description differs from Norfolk Gardens Survey in saying that the Catholic chapel is of 1874 by Pearce; the cemetery was only extended up to Farrow Road in 1926 and did not cross it until 1945 when the civilian war memorial was built; the Soldiers Monument is of 1878 by Doultons; the crematorium reuses tiles from chapels.
See register for details.
E. Rose (NLA) 18 December 2001.
- CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PICK (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- Registered Park or Garden
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 12 Nov 2005. 12 November. Sunday supplement pp 2-3. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 23 Jun 2000. |
|Site 1216||Parent of: Norwich Cemetery, Bowthorpe Road (Monument)|
Find out more...