|Type of record:||Building|
Weavers House is a former factory, built in the 17th century and altered in the 18th and 20th century. Constructed of red brick with a pantile roof, this three-storey building retains a long 22-light frieze window on the second floor and was probably used for weaving.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2362 0841|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Weavers House is a 17th-century, three-storey, red brick industrial building. The former factory was altered in the 18th and 20th century but retains a long 22-light frieze window on the second floor (S1). The frieze window indicates that it was likely used for weaving (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 2 November 1994. Updated H. Hamilton (HES), 03 May 2017.
The location of this building has been updated from TG 23630 08460 to TG 23622 08416.
H. Hamilton (HES), 03 May 2017.
June 1972. Listed Grade II.
Historic England Listing Description:
Building fronting Mountergate and east of St Faith's House
Formerly listed as building belonging to A E Coe & Sons.
Former factory, empty at the time of re-survey. 17th with 18th century and 20th century alterations and extension. Red brick and pantile roof. Three storeys. Four widely spaced first floor windows. Central two-leaf door with rubbed brick flat arch and plain door at extreme left. Casement windows with glazing bars at ground floor. Sash windows at first floor with glazing bars: side lights to window above door. Long twenty-two-light frieze window at 2nd floor. External stack against right-hand gable. Fascia cornice and hipped roof.
Information from (S1).
- FACTORY (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
- SPINNING MILL (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372447. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Plan to restore weaving 'factory'. 2 November. |
Related records - none
Find out more...