|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||12th century quay or building, Quayside|
During the medieval period Quayside was used by shell fishermen to unload their boats, and thick deposits of shells have been noted at nearby sites. Trial excavations on the south bank of the River Wensum at Quayside were undertaken in 1993, and a number of interesting archaoelogical features were noted. Of particular interest were a number of medieval waterlogged organic deposits, which included wood, structural timbers, leatherworking debris and wickerwork. The timbers were identified as structural components of the quayside or a collapsed building. Dendrochronological analysis dated their felling to the summer of AD 1146.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2333 0905|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
26 July to 6 August 1993. Three trial pits excavated adjacent to south face of river wall.
Late Saxon, medieval, post medieval sherds. Medieval leatherworking debris found.
See report (S1) in file.
Compiled by K. Forrest (NAU), 28 July 1993.
Wickerwork, timber and leather were preserved in 12th century layers. Timbers from quayside or collapsed building. Dendro date for felling, summer AD 1146.
Information from (S2).
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 23 March 1995.
Full report now in file adds one residual sherd of Ipswich Ware and other finds.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 18 December 1997.
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1146 AD to 1539 AD?)
- WHARF (Medieval - 1146 AD to 1539 AD?)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANUFACTURING DEBRIS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SHOE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: GZZ, GZY. |
|---||Article in serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1994. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1993. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt I pp 115-123. p 120. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Ayers, B. and Leah, M. Aug 1993. NAU Report No. 75. Trial excavation at Quayside, Norwich. |
Related records - none
Find out more...