|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||4 and 6 Princes Street (with 2 to 4 Elm Hill).|
A 17th century corner site house, now shops and houses, with later alterations. It is three storeys high with a cellar. The front walls are timber framed above flint rubble, the rear walls primarily brick. The interiors date from the 18th century onwards, when the building was subdivided. The tie-irons on the rear wall of the Elm Hill wing are dated 1619.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23182 08788|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Early 17th century two storeyed plus attic corner site building.
Earlier structure provides foundation for some walls.
Front walls timber framed above flint rubble. Rear walls primarily brick.
Princes Street wing had pedimented windows.
Interior 18th century and 19th century when subdivison occurred.
Tie-irons on rear wall of Elm Hill wing have initials RMM (Richard Mann) and date 1619. See (S1).
February 1954. Listed, Grade II.
Corner property including Nos. 2 and 4 Elm Hill (q.v.). Houses, now shop and houses. 17th century with later alterations. Part-rendered plinth; painted brick on ground floor; first floor rusticated; rendered and rusticated gables. Pan- tile roof. 3 storeys and cellar, with first-floor jetty. Irregular fenestra- tion; 3 gables to each facade. 19th century corner shop - front with angled half- glazed double doors flanked by windows with narrow moulded mullions. Ground floor sash windows have large panes and one has lattice iron railings on sill. 2 simple doorcases to right and lect have panelled reveals. Door of No. 6 has 6 raised and fielded panels below fanlight with intersecting glazing bars. 20th century door to No. 4. First-floor sash windows have glazing bars, the central one also with a flimsy iron balcony. Paired modillion cornice beneath gables, each with plaster bargeboards and one glazing bar sash window. Similar treat- ment to Elm Hill facade with a pair of part-glazed doors in simple reeded doorcases and with a moulded jetty beam. No. 4 Princes Street has 2 cast iron plaques: H/S.P/1814 and H/S.P/1834.
Information from (S2).
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 294-295. |
|<S1>||Thesis: Smith, R. 1990. An Architectural History of Norwich Buildings, c. 1200 - 1700. Unpublished Thesis. p 427. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051909. |
|Site 2396||Parent of: 2 Elm Hill (Monument)|
|Site 705||Parent of: 4 and 6 Princes Street (with 2-4 Elm Hill) (Monument)|
|Site 2239||Parent of: 4 and 6 Princes Street (with 2-4 Elm Hill) (Monument)|
|Mon 488||Parent of: 4 and 6 Princes Street (with 2-4 Elm Hill) (Monument)|
|Mon 1151||Parent of: 4 and 6 Princes Street (With 2-4 Elm Hill) (Monument)|
|Site 2610||Parent of: 4-6 Princes Street (includes 2-4 Elm Hill) (Monument)|
|Mon 6||Parent of: Blackfriars Friary (Monument)|
|Mon 71||Parent of: Green Yard (Blackfriars) (Monument)|
Find out more...