|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||2 to 4 Lion and Castle Yard|
This 17th century flint and brick building has one room each side of a central passage on the ground floor, creating number 2 and number 4. Upstairs there is only a single room. The south elevation was reconstructed in the 19th century and the building was re-roofed in thatch in 1996. It is believed that these two dwellings operated as weaver's cottages.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23115 08269|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
No.4, small two storeyed 17th century building. Through passage divided the building into two unequal rooms. In 19th century passage given to No. 2. The wall thicknesses of No. 2 suggest that it is also 17th century date.
1981. Norwich Survey. No. 4.
17th century two storey flint and brick building of one room each side of passage on ground floor with one room on first floor. South elevation reconstructed in 19th century.
T.E. Miller (NLA) 21 April 2004.
(S2) in file states these are weavers' cottages.
Buildings reroofed in thatch 1996 after discovery of evidence that they were formerly thatched.
E. Rose (NLA) 21 August 1996.
See also press cutting (S3) in file.
T. Sunley (NLA) 29 October 2007.
- WEAVERS COTTAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Newspaper Article: [unknown]. [unknown]. Old-fashioned new look for weavers' cottages. [unknown]. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Plans for weavers' cottages. 4 September. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Cottage industry. 17 August. |
|Site 2671||Parent of: 2 & 4 Lion and Castle Yard (Monument)|
|Site 673||Parent of: 2-4 Lion and Castle Yard (Monument)|
|Mon 458||Parent of: 2-4 Lion and Castle Yard (Monument)|
|Site 2246||Parent of: 4 Lion and Castle Yard (Monument)|
Find out more...