|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, St Stephen's Road|
The buildings discussed here are part of the original hospital block. The hospital was founded by William Fellowes and built by William Ivory in 1770-75 on virgin ground outside the city walls. The building had an H-shaped plan with the projecting central bay having rusticated brick quoins. It is constructed from red brick with pantile roofing. A number of memorials and sculptures were added to the building over time including a 1914-18 war memorial plaque and a bronze sculpture of a mother and child created in 1874 by Sir Joseph Boehm. The site is now being redeveloped by Persimmon Homes for residential purposes. It has been agreed that this part of the hospital complex will be preserved but there are currently ongoing discussions about whether or not the pavilion wings should be demolished.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2265 0788|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Hospital 1771 on keystone over door, by William Ivory. Extended 1927.
Red brick; hipped pantile roof. L-plan. Two storeys. Thirteen first-floor windows on facade at right-angles to street. Projecting centre bay with rusticated brick quoins. Has 20th century glass door and flat porch in front of plain fanlight in recessed round-headed gauged brick arch.
See (S1) for more details.
Press cutting (S2) in file. Also see all the press cuttings listed under NHER 26204
T. Sunley (NLA) 19 March 2007.
For full details of history of site and buildings see Norwich City Council. Site brief in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 24 November 1999.
1999. Desk-based assessment.
Archaeological records consulted suggest possible Bronze Age activity in the vicinity, but no known sites were noted in this extra-mural area.
D. Holburn (HES), 21 November 2011.
Bricks from the demolished sections used to rebuild chimney stacks at Union House, Gressenhall (NHER 2819).
E. Rose (NLA) 3 April 2004.
- HOSPITAL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1770 AD to 2006 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: 2012. Planning application.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Eastern Daily Press. July 4. |
|<S3>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2000. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1999. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt III pp 521-543. p 533. |
|26204||Parent of: Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, St Stephen's Road (Building)|
|Mon 775||Parent of: St Stephens Hospital, outside St Stephen's Gates (Monument)|
|MNO9545||Related to: Norfolk & Norwich Hospital (Ivory Wing) NORWICH (Revoked)|
Find out more...