|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval defences, St Martin's Gate|
The site of Coslany Gate on the junction of Oak Street and Bakers Road, part of the city's medieval defences. It was rebuilt in 1760, but then demolished in the 19th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2260 0952|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Junction of Oak Street and Bakers Road.
Formerly 'Coslany Gate',' Porte de Coslayn' (1275).
1858. Bastion on the side next the river pulled down. (S1).
E. B. Green (NCM).
- GATE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOWN DEFENCES (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 100.25. |
|<S1>||Publication: Ninham, J. and Fitch, R. 1861. Views of Gates of Norwich. pp 17-19. pp 23-24. |
|Mon 1067||Parent of: Coslany Street / Oak Street (Monument)|
|384||Parent of: Norwich City Defences (Monument)|
|Site 1734||Parent of: St Martin`s Gate, Oak Street (Monument)|
|Mon 328||Parent of: St Martin's Gate (Monument)|
Find out more...