|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Strangers Club, 22 and 24 Elm Hill|
A 16th century and later two storey timber framed building, now a club, with a rendered ground floor and exposed close studding with herringbone-pattern red brick infill at first floor level. A carriage arch on the left leading to Crown Alley has a finely carved wooden lintel, which also bears a merchant's mark and the arms of the Mercer's Company. Further right are two large restored mullioned windows. At the back is a 16th century timber framed wing. Inside on the first floor are moulded beams and a fireplace obtained from a house nearby.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23207 08877|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Former use not known, now club. 16th century and later. Timber frame. Ground floor rendered; exposed close studding with herringbone red brick infill at first floor. Pantiled roof. Brick chimney (rebuilt). Two storeys with cellar to right. First floor jetty. Six first floor windows. Left carriage entrance to Crown Alley has finely carved bressumer also
bearing merchant's mark and arms of the Mercers Company.
Two identical Tudor-style doors with ribs and iron studs in moulded surrounds flank two large windows which have moulded mullions and transome (heavily restored) for six and ten leaded lights respectively.
The larger window is reputed to have been re-set from the first floor. Two smaller diamond-lattice 20th century casements to right and left and others on first floor.
Projecting 16th century timber framed wing to rear has gable-end brick chimney, two centred arch and a mullioned and transomed casement.
The interior has moulded beams and a fireplace introduced from elsewhere.
Information from (S1).
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Carter, A. and Smith, R. 1983. Function and Site: Aspects of Norwich Buildings Before 1700. Vernacular Architecture. Vol 14 pp 5-18. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 224. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 296. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Decay in this fine old city is the 'elephant in the room'. 11 September. |
|---||Thesis: Smith, R. 1990. An Architectural History of Norwich Buildings, c. 1200 - 1700. Unpublished Thesis. pp 395-396. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051268. |
|Site 435||Parent of: 22 and 24 Elm Hill (Strangers Club) (Monument)|
|Mon 276||Parent of: 22 and 24 Elm Hill (Strangers Club) (Monument)|
|Site 2290||Parent of: 22 and 24 Elm Hill (Strangers Club) (Monument)|
|Site 3524||Parent of: 22 and 24 Elm Hill (Strangers Club) (Monument)|
|Site 3526||Parent of: 34 and 36 Elm Hill (Monument)|
|Site 2404||Parent of: Elm Hill (Even Numbers) (Monument)|
Find out more...