|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Octagon Chapel, Colegate|
The Octagonal Chapel was built around 1754 to 1756 by Thomas Ivory, as the result of a competition. It was initially built for Presbyterians who had a chapel on this site since 1687, however it became a Unitarian chapel after 1820. The chapel itself is a single storey red brick building with a gallery and a pantile roof, built on an octagonal plan. The roof is an octagonal pyrammid, and the interior has eight giant Corinthian columns with wooden galleries between them. It is thought that the red bricks used here came from kilns on Mousehold Heath.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2308 0907|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Octagon Chapel, Colegate.
Former Presbyterian Chapel, now Unitarian Chapel. 1756 by Thomas Ivory. Red brick. Pantile roof. Octagonal plan. Single storey with gallery. Two bays to each side, except for the entry face - three bays. Central two-leaf door with semi-circular arch and moulded surround. Single storeyed pediment portico with four unfluted Ionic columns and two pilasters. Five steps up. The door is flanked by sash windows with glazing bars and semi-circular rubbed brick arch and top sash. Bracket cornice. Pyramical roof with small dorner in each bay with semi-circular head and round window. Wrought iron pinnacle on top of roof. Very good interior detail with giant Corinthian columns and wooden
Information from (S1).
The bricks came from the kilns on Mousehold Heath.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 August 2004.
- PRESBYTERIAN CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1754 AD to 1820 AD)
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1756 AD to 2050 AD)
- UNITARIAN CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1820 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Verbal communication: Cox, A.. 2004. |
|---||Photograph: The Octagon Chapel, Norwich. Print. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...