|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Old Meeting House, Colegate|
The Old Meeting House is a Congregational Church, and is the oldest remaining non-conformist chapel in Norwich. The sundial is marked 1693, and the building is of red brick with stone detail and a pantile roof. This building is of a single storey with a large gallery level, designed in five bays divided by full height pilasters with Corinthian capitals.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23105 09107|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Old Meeting House, Colegate.
February 1954. Listed, Grade II.
Congregational Church. 1693 on sundial. Red brick wtih stone detail. Pantile roof. Single storey with gallery. Five bays divided by pilasters with Corinthian capitals and bases. Doors in outer bays with brick eared surrounds and flat hoods
supported on consoles. Sash windows throughout with glazing bars and raised brick surrounds and aprons. Stringcourse. Modillion eaves cornice. Hipped roof. The interior has galleries on three sides with Tuscan columns on the
ground floor and Ionic columns on the first floor.
Information from (S1).
Drawings (S2) in secondary file.
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (17th Century to 21st Century - 1693 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 218. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 255; Pl 75, Pl 76. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1206474. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|Mon 1220||Parent of: Blackfriars Precinct ( North of the River) (Monument)|
|Site 425||Parent of: Old Meeting House, Colegate (Monument)|
Find out more...