|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Ivory House, No 52 All Saints' Green|
Ivory House was built in 1771 to 1772 by Thomas Ivory, a speculative builder, architect and craftsman. This three storey building is of red brick with a black pantile roof, and has wrought iton railings and a two-span roof. It is believed to have been built on Ivory's own land, and used as a militia barracks in 1800. It was restored in 1971 to 1972 and converted to an council offices.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23025 07936|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Former house, now adult education centre. 1771 by Thomas Ivory. Red brick and black pantile roof. Three storeys, five bays. Central door with semi-circular fanlight. The ground floor windows are in semi-circular arched recessed panels. Bracket cornice beneath parapet with end ball-finials. Two-span roof. Wrought iron railings (internally segmental plaster vault to hall - both ends of hall semi-circular).
Information from (S1), see also (S2).
Reference (S3) in file states that this was Ivory's own house and that in 1800 it became a militia barracks.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 10 November 1995.
Other press cuttings (S4), (S5) and (S6) in file.
T. Sunley (NLA) 24 October 2007.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1771 AD to 1860 AD)
- BARRACKS? (Post Medieval - 1860 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- OFFICE (Modern - 1901 AD? to 1994 AD)
- APARTMENT (Modern - 1994 AD to 2050 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Unknown date)
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. pp 307-308. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Norwich Survey building record sheets. |
|<S4>||Photograph: Norwich Survey. South-east room, south wall, second floor [interior of Ivory House]. Black & white print. |
|<S5>||Publication: Norfolk County Council. 2000. Historic Buildings at Risk in Norfolk. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. History under hammer. 10 November. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Executive flats planned for historic, city centre town house. 11 December. |
|<S8>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2001. New lease of life for fine old townhouse. 26 January. |
|<S9>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2001. Your home in an Ivory tower. 14 March. |
|26491||Parent of: Three mid to late medieval pits, Ivory House (Monument)|
|55358||Part of: Site of militia barracks, All Saints' Green (Monument)|
Find out more...