|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||?Prehistoric hearth and multi-period finds|
A possible hearth was revealed during the excavation of a sewer pipe trench in 1985. Although it produced no finds a prehistoric date was suggested for this feature. Unstatified finds recovered from this pipe trench included worked flints (including several pieces of possible Mesolithic date), Roman tiles and Roman/Late Saxon, Late Saxon, early medieval and post-medieval pottery sherds.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8221 1520|
|Parish:||CASTLE ACRE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1985 to 1986. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of excavation of sewer pipe trench between Newton Road and new Sewage Works.
A variety of the unstratified finds were recovered from this trench, including:
76 work flints (44 flakes, 1 retouched flake, 26 blades, 5 cores).
2 Roman tiles.
1 Roman/Late Saxon pottery sherd.
11 Late Saxon pottery sherds (10 Thetford ware, 1 St Neots ware).
7 early medieval pottery sherds
6 post-medieval pottery sherds.
Although the majority of the worked flints were not closely datable, a few delicate blades, 2 two-platform blade cores and a bifacially crested piece were identified as probably Mesolithic by J. J. Wymer (NAU).
The only archaeologically significant feature to be exposed in this pipe trench was a circular depression filled with fire-blackened sand and burnt flint (located close to the Sewage Works, between TF 822 152 and TF 823 151). This was interpreted as a hearth and a prehistoric date suggested on the basic of its proximity to numberous worked flints.
See published report (S1) and file notes for further details.
E. Rose (NLA) 29 November 1990. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 4 December 2013.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- HEARTH? (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BLADE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- CORE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- BLADE (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- BLADE CORE (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- CRESTED BLADE (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- POT (Roman to Late Saxon - 43 AD to 1065 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Leah, M. 1993. Excavations and Watching Brief at Castle Acre, 1985-86. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLI Pt IV pp 494-507. |
Related records - none
Find out more...