|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Prehistoric pits and post medieval road|
Prehistoric pits containing pottery from the late prehistoric to the medieval periods, and a post medieval road surface were found during excavations for a new sewer in 1985.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8161 1521|
|Parish:||CASTLE ACRE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1985 to 1986.
Excavation for new sewage system.
Road surface formed of reused stonework.
Prehistoric pits with Iron Age, prehistoric, Early Saxon, Late Saxon and medieval sherds.
See details (including areas where nothing found) in file.
Information from M. Leah (NAU)
E. Rose (NLA) 29 November 1990.
- PIT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- ROAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Leah, M. 1993. Excavations and Watching Brief at Castle Acre, 1985-86. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLI Pt IV pp 494-507. |
Related records - none
Find out more...