|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Manor Farm, Vicarage Road|
This building was originally a medieval hall house. The timber framing of this house is unusual. In the early 17th century it was heightened by simply standing new wooden posts on the top of the old ones. The south end was rebuilt at the same time. Parts of the building were rebuilt in masonry in the 18th and 19th centuries. Late medieval or early post medieval pottery and post medieval metal finds have been found under the floors of the house.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 9506 9265|
|Parish:||HOCKHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
16th century house, originally timber framed, now brick clad. Unusual inglenook fireplace. 18th century extension with reused medieval stonework. Not listed.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 January 1990.
Refurbishment of house revealed further evidence, indicating this is a medieval hall house, heightened in the 17th century by a most unusual method of posts placed on top of old ones, with a new parlour end and stack.
See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 August, 1999.
Finds from below floor, before 14 July 2005.
Medieval and post medieval sherds.
Post medieval jetton.
Medieval or post medieval metal objects.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 22 November 2005.
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CAME (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- MUSKET BALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: Stebbings, H.. 1999. Film JJZ. Manor Farm, Great Hockham. JJZ. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Correspondence: Davison, A. 1990. Letter to Edwin Rose (NLA) regarding documentary research on Great Hockham and Marham. 29 May 1990. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1990. Building Report. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1999. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|56837||Parent of: Manor Farm barns (Building)|
Find out more...