Record Details

NHER Number:25396
Type of record:Building
Name:Sea Marge

Summary

This large half timbered Edwardian house, now a hotel, was built between 1908 and 1912 by the German born financier Sir Otto Speyer, who was apparently later stripped of his title and deported as a spy. The building is irregular in plan, two and three storeys high with a pebbledashed ground floor to the road façade. A projecting bay window and porch are set in front of a three storey timbered tower under a pyramid roof. At the back are six gabled bays. The interior has oak panelling, a galleried hall with a stone fireplace and a bathroom with contemporary Japanese tiles.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2496 4076
Map Sheet:TG24SW
Parish:OVERSTRAND, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Large house built 1908 to 12 to designs of Sir Arthur Blomfield, who died in 1899.
Timber framed and brick, tile roofs. Irregular façade of two and three storeys and attic. Projecting bay window, and porch set in front of three storey timbered tower. Various projecting wings and loggias. At rear, six gabled bays. Clustered chimneys. Interior has oak panelling, galleried hall with stone fireplace, bathroom with contemporary Japanese tiles. Information extracted from listed building description grade II 1988 (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 8 August 1989.

Several of interior fittings stolen in 1995. Press cuttings (S2) to (S8) and architect's plans (1998-2003)(S9) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 January 1996.

Press cuttings in file.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. p 303.
---Article in serial: Cromer Preservation Society.. 2010. Happy 10th Birthday.. Cromer Preservation Society..
---Photograph: 1990. Photographs of interior of Sea Marge, Overstrand. Colour.
---Photograph: Photograph and slides of Sea Marge, Overstrand. Black & white.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Newspaper Article: 1990. Eastern Daily Press. 9 November.
<S3>Newspaper Article: 1995. Eastern Daily Press. 28 November.
<S4>Newspaper Article: 1995. Eastern Daily Press. 28 November.
<S5>Newspaper Article: 1995. Eastern Daily Press. 28 December.
<S6>Newspaper Article: 1996. Eastern Daily Press. 15 January.
<S7>Newspaper Article: 1996. Eastern Daily Press. 10 October.
<S8>Newspaper Article: 1998. Eastern Daily Press. 18 December.
<S9>Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service