Record Details

NHER Number:25395
Type of record:Building
Name:Wesleyan Methodist Chapel


The earliest non-conformist chapel by Sir Edwin Lutyens, this building was constructed in 1898. Apparently Lord Battersea, who lived at The Pleasaunce (NHER 6477) had it built to keep his gardener happy. Rectangular in plan, the chapel has an east entrance doorway with six orders of semicircular brick arches. The side walls have no windows, the light coming from a high-set clerestory.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2482 4077
Map Sheet:TG24SW

Full description

1898, by E. Lutyens. Brick and tile, rendered. Hipped pantile roof.
Rectangular plan. Doorway to east with six orders of semicircular brick arches. Radiating bands of tiles in the arch continue as vertical bands across the east face and one forms the keystone.
Moulded brick shafts to upper corners. Hipped roof with clerestory including Diocletian window to east. No windows in side walls; brick piers support lead-covered beams. Information from listed building description grade II 1988 (S1). Press cuttings (S2), (S3) and (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 August 1989.

See (S5) for further details.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 29 October 2012.

Monument Types

  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1898 AD to 2050 AD)
  • WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1898 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. p 303.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Newspaper Article: 1990. Eastern Daily Press. 29 January.
<S3>Newspaper Article: 1998. Eastern Daily Press. 26 January.
<S4>Newspaper Article: 1998. Eastern Daily Press. 24 December.
<S5>Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. pp.262.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service