|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval fishponds and dovecote|
A series of medieval fishponds and a dovecote, which are part of a larger medieval manorial complex, see NHER 8823.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9798 0282|
|Parish:||CRANWORTH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Possible moat, east of known moat, NHER 8823.
L shaped pond forms southwest angle of rectangular enclosure.
Square shaped mound on island.
Not well preserved.
Information from source .
Location plan in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 10 April 1989.
East to west arm measures approximately 70m, with causeway, north to south measures approximately 28m.
West arm water filled maximum 3m wide.
A square mound 12 to 13m, 2.5m high situated to northeast, with a depression in centre.
H. Paterson (A&E) 17 June 1996.
September 2001. Scheduled.
The monument, which is in two separate areas of protection, includes the remains of a medieval moated site, fishponds and associated features in Hazel Hurn Wood, approximately 0.9km south west of Church Farm, Woodrising. The moat lies at the south western edge of the former Woodrising parish, now part of Cranworth. In 1086 land in Woodrising, previously in the possession of Alveva, was held by William of Warenne. A family, taking the name de Rising, held the land under Earl Warren and in the latter part of the 15th century it passed to the Southwells who, during the 16th century, established their seat at Woodrising Hall, approximately 1.3km to the east.
The moated platform, or island, is sub-rectangular in plan, measuring approximately 40m north west - south east by 30m, and is surrounded by a water-filled moat measuring up to 6m in width. The island stands approximately 0.3m above the surrounding ground level with a low internal bank alongside the north east arm of the moat. A slightly raised platform, measuring about 8m in width, at the northern corner of the island appears to mark the site of a building. A roughly circular hollow, measuring approximately 4m in width, located at the eastern corner of the island, is thought to be the remains of a pond. Low external banks, measuring up to 0.2m in height and 3m and 1.5m in width respectively, border the north western arm of the moat and part of the south western arm. Two depressions, one each on the inner and outer edges of the north eastern arm of the moat, indicate the position of a causeway which formerly provided access to the island and which is shown on early editions of the Ordnance Survey maps. A channel leading northward from the eastern corner of the moat and a further channel leading eastward from the south east arm of the moat represent part of the former water management system. The ends of the channels adjoining the moat are included in the scheduling.
An L-shaped depression, thought to be the remains of a line of fishponds associated with the moated site, is located 200m east of the moat in a second area of protection. The depression measures approximately 70m north west - south east with an arm, about 25m in length, extending southward from the north west end. It measures up to 6m in width and 1m deep and is water-filled in places. The long axis appears to be sub-divided, by low baulks, to form a series of ponds probably connected by sluices to control the flow of water between them. A roughly circular hollow, measuring about 4m in width, located in the south east angle formed by the L-shaped pond, is thought to mark the site of an infilled pond which will survive as a buried feature.
Two channels, forming part of the water management system, are associated with the fishponds. At the south east end of the fishpond is a channel, aligned north east - south west, at right angles to the pond. The channel, measuring 3m wide and 0.75m deep and visible for a distance of about 20m, is included in the scheduling. A further channel, measuring 4m in width and up to 1m deep, leads to the south east from the southern tip of the L-shaped pond. A 10m length of this channel, adjacent to the pond, is included in the scheduling.
An earthen mound is located in the north western angle formed by the long axis of the L-shaped fishpond and the channel aligned north east - south west at its eastern end. The mound is square in plan, measuring approximately 12m in width and standing up to 2m in height. There is a circular depression, about 5m in diameter, located centrally at the top of the mound. The mound is thought to have been constructed to support a dovecote. The association of the moated site with the fishpond and dovecote suggests that these features were part of a manorial complex.
Information from (S1) and (S2).
D. Gurney (NLA), 23 January 2002.
- MOUND (Unknown date)
- DOVECOTE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Scheduling Notification. Notification. DNF414. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. 1994? -2011?. English Heritage Digital Designation Record. Record. DNF414. |
Related records - none
Find out more...