Record Details

NHER Number:2506
Type of record:Monument
Name:Martins Farm Pump

Summary

This is the site of a post medieval wind pump and pumping station. A drainage windpump is marked on Faden's map of 1797. It was replaced by a pumping station in 1847 and a new engine was installed in 1909. In 1940 the station was demolished, a new one was built and a diesel pump was installed. During World War Two a pillbox stood on the site, although nothing of it remains.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 5908 9867
Map Sheet:TL59NE
Parish:FORDHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Fordham Fen drainage mill.
On (S1). 'Engine' on 1836 Ordnance Survey map (S2) - interesting because if this is the pump described in (S3), its beam engine was installed in 1847. Altered to diesel in 1936; Allen engine beside was used in changeover. Engineers house in front. Chimney base survives as cooling tower.
E. Rose (NAU).

Survey no. P1-10.
Report of pillbox, possibly type 22, now demolished, adjacent covering bridge over Ouse. Date - 1940.
Information from member of the public [1]. See (S4) in file.
D. Walker (NLA), July 1996.

(S5) states that there was a windpump on this site but was indeed replaced by a beam engine in 1847 funded by the Great Eastern Railway as their new embankment took the wind out of its sails. Therefore, most interestingly, the notation on the 1836 map is one of the additions made in about 1860 when the railways were added. (S5) gives the date of the Allen engine as 1909, and of the diesel installation as 1940, in a new house built of the bricks from the old. Converted to electricity 1972.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 December 2003.

Monument Types

  • PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PILLBOX (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S3>Article in Serial: 1980. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol II, No 5.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Norfolk Defensive Structures Survey record form.
<S5>Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2002. Pumping Stations of the Norfolk Fens.. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol 7, no 2, p 16-17.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service