|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval wind pump and later pumping station|
Two wind pumps are marked on Faden's map of 1797. These were replaced in 1854 by a beam engine which in turn was replaced by a vertical steam engine before 1935. Later a 1939 oil engine drove a Dodmans pump that may have belonged to the steam engine. The pump was converted to electricity in 1971 and was demolished around 1980.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 5967 9815|
|Parish:||HILGAY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Drainage pump. Originally steam engine and scoop wheel. In 1939 Ruston and Hornsby six oil engine with centrifugal pump, for Great West Fen. Installed disused 1971, for sale 1978. Two windpumps marked here on (S1) and (S2).
(S3) adds: Original windpumps replaced 1854 by beam engine; replaced by vertical steam engine before 1935. The 1939 oil engine drove a Dodmans pump that may have belonged to the steam engine. Converted to electricity 1971. Demolished around 1980 - no trace remains.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 October 2004.
- PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: 1979. [unknown]. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2004. Pumping Stations in the Norfolk Fens Part 3, East of Ouse.. NIAS Journal. vol 7, pt 4, p 95.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...