|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval wind pump and later pumping station at Hunt's Sluice|
A wind pump is marked on Faden's map of 1797. This was replaced in 1883 by a steam engine powered drainage pump. The pump became disused in 1928 when Sams' Cut Drain was abandoned.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 5991 9781|
|Parish:||HILGAY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Junction of Sams' Cut Drain and Great Ouse.
Drainage pump. 1884, superceding windpump on (S1).
Information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society.
E. Rose (NAU), 1979.
R. Silvester (NAU) reports good example of brick sluices and tunnels here, overgrown.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 March 1988.
1883, Edward Easton semi-portable condensing steam engine installed driving a vertical spindle centrifugal pump. Disused 1928 when Sams Cut abandoned and sold off 1931.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 October 2004.
- PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2004. Pumping Stations in the Norfolk Fens Part 3, East of Ouse.. NIAS Journal. vol 7, pt 4, p 98.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...