|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Gregory's Church, St Gregory's Alley, Norwich|
This former parish church is now redundant and used as an Centre for the Arts. It dates to the 14th and 15th centuries and is made from flint with stone and brick dressings. It has a west tower, nave and chancel, north and south aisles as well as north, south and west porches. This church contains medieval wall paintings including a huge painted figure of St George and the Dragon made by a livery stable keeper. The eagle lectern dates to before the Reformation and the church was re-glazed in 1643 probably indicating that stained glass had been removed. There are three small round windows in the belfry stage of the west tower which may be Saxon in origin.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 22845 08712|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Former parish church, now redundant. 14th and 15th centuries.
Flint with stone and brick dressings. Lead roofs. West tower. Nave and chancel. North and south aisles. North, south and west porches. Three-stage unbuttressed tower. Two storey north and south porches against tower. Four-bay nave. Single bay chancel rebuilt around 1394.
See (S1) for further details.
'Pre-1100 on evidence of lights in belfry' - R. R. Clarke (NCM).
Complete 17th century Rhenish stoneware bottle (bellarmine) 'found in St Gregory's Norwich'.
Held by NCM.
12th century (14th?) door ring with lion's head with man's head in jaws. On loan to NCM.
See for comparison the ring from Adel near Leeds (Pevsner, Yorks, W.Riding).
Composed in 1972.
See further details in file NCM.
(S2) refers to the restoration of the church as including a huge painted figure of St George and the Dragon made by a livery stable keeper - to Armstrong's displeasure.
E. Rose (NLA) 3 September 1997.
Pre-reformation eagle lectern is at St Giles's in 1999.
Damage was done to this church by a neo-Buddhist group who rented the building in 1975 and destroyed a wallpainting and opened a tomb, in which a pair of sandals was found. Newspaper cutting relating to this, formerly in possession of Norwich Survey, appears to be lost.
1999. Discovery of medieval wallpaintings see (S5) and (S6) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 9 March 1999.
Besides the wallpaintings mentioned in (S7), the George and Dragon painting has been restored. Armstrong's comment quoted above is incomprehensible as this is a fine medieval wallpainting, now with much more detail visible. It was restored after its 19th century discovery but not by an innkeeper!
(S8) also notes the Late Saxon windows in the tower noted by R. R. Clarke (NCM) as above. He gives a more detailed description than (S1); but neither source notes that as well as the tunnel under the east end that carries St Gregory's Back Alley there is a parallel tunnel to the east, the north end now covered by a vestry. The chancel must therefore have been twice extended - across a processional way and then across the road.
E. Rose (NLA) 15 April 1999.
(S7) notes that church was rebuilt by the cathedral priory in 1394 and is very similar to Wodehurst's cloister.
E. Rose (NLA) 21 December 2000.
The church was reglazed in 1643 probably indicating that stained glass had been removed. (S9).
E. Rose (NLA) 25 April 2005.
See notes in file of (S10) giving the Ritualist history of this church in the late 19th century.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 April 2006.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD? to 2050 AD)
- DOOR FITTING (Undated)
- WINDOW (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. 1987. Building Survey. |
|---||Leaflet: Norwich Historic Churches Trust & HEART. St Gregorys, Pottergate.. |
|---||Article in serial: Whitingham, A. 1980. St Gregory's Church, Charing Cross, Norwich. Archaeological Journal. Vol 137 p 360. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Publication: Armstrong, Rev.. Armstrong's Diary. 28 September 1861. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Ancient church art is restored to glory.. 9 March. |
|<S4>||Article in serial: Carus, S.. 1999. Wall painting discovery in Norwich. Church Archaeology. Vol 3 pp 34-35. p 34. |
|<S5>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. pp 33-34. |
|<S6>||Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. pp 176-177. |
|<S7>||Publication: Norwich Historic Churches Trust. St Gregory's Church. |
|<S8>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. |
|<S9>||Monograph: Spraggon, J.. 2003. Puritan Iconoclasm during the English Civil War.. p100, 112.. |
|<S10>||Verbal communication: Groves, N.. 2006. Lecture at Cambridge. |
|Site 2200||Parent of: Church of St Gregory (Monument)|
|122||Parent of: Medieval pottery sherds and human remains, St Gregory's Alley (Monument)|
|453||Parent of: Precinct of St Gregory's Church (Find Spot)|
|Mon 712||Parent of: St Gregory's Church (Monument)|
|Mon 1184||Parent of: St Gregory's early church (Monument)|
|Site 1652||Parent of: St. Gregory's Church, St Gregory's Alley (Monument)|
|Site 1654||Parent of: St. Gregory's Church, St Gregory's Alley (Monument)|
|Site 1655||Parent of: St. Gregory's Church, St Gregory's Alley (Monument)|
Find out more...