|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible medieval stone cross|
A medieval stone cross is marked here on old record maps, but it may have been confused with NHER 2460.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6214 0293|
|Parish:||DOWNHAM MARKET, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
February 1977. Visit.
R. R. Clarke (NCM) marked '?cross' here on (S1). No trace of any cross here now. Not included in (S2). Note name of Stone Cross Lane to south, which ran to here before being cut off by airfield. Signpost on main road points to Stone
Cross. However owner of scrapyard says that he has heard that the name used to be Stump Cross, and was changed to Stone Cross after the memorial was erected in 1915 (see NHER 2460).
E. Rose (NAU), 16 February 1977.
Latter information is incorrect. Lane is called Stone Cross Lane on (S3) which marks a Stone Cross on site NHER 2460, and clearly shows road on which above site is marked stopping at the present farm. Perhaps R. R. Clarke's (NCM) marking is just a misplacing of NHER 2460.
E. Rose (NLA).
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Miscellaneous. Downham Market. |
|<S1>||Map: NCM. NCM Record Map. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 306. |
|<S3>||Map: 1840. Downham Market Tithe Map. |
Related records - none
Find out more...