|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Late Bronze Age hoard, Prehistoric flint, and Saxon to post medieval metal objects.|
A hoard of Late Bronze Age copper alloy finds, including socketed axes, knives and spearheads, found by metal detecting. Roman pottery, part of a Late Saxon stirrup and medieval and post medieval pottery have also been found on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||Not displayed|
|Parish:||BRAMPTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
7 to 8 February 1988.
Found with metal detecting in area 18 square metres with 2 to 3 outliers.
204m north northeast of track, 66m west of old path.
Context 1 scatter in ploughsoil around findspot.
Retouched flint flake, pot boiler, worn Roman greyware and medieval sherds including late medieval/early post medieval.
Context 2 at grid reference. The Oxnead Late Bronze Age hoard.
About 30 pieces.
Axe (S2), spearheads, part of axe mould valve, Thorndon knife, other knives, swords.
Some items found in sockets of axes but removed by finders.
Full list in file.
Site investigated by W. Milligan (NCM) P. Millington Wallace (NAU) and NAU team but there was no sign of any pit.
Fragment of one axe already found and already found and 2 to 3 fragments of another axe found.
Also fragment of iron slag, and jetton, 14th century? Edward I worn borders.
Identified by E. B. Green (NCM) and A. Gregory (NAU) (coin)
W. Milligan (NAU) 8 February 1988.
March 1988. Adjacent to site.
Medieval socketed copper alloy vessel leg found by .
W. Milligan (NCM) 10 March 1988.
October 1990. Metal detecting find.
Part of hoard (Context 2)
Fragment of hilt of sword
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM) 12 October 1990.
March to April 2000. Metal detecting.
Late Saxon copper alloy stirrup strap mount of Williams' Class A type 12, seven bosses, remains of iron rivet in centre of angled flange.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 8 May 2000.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon to 19th Century - 851 AD to 1900 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT BOILER (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- DAGGER (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- GOUGE (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- HOARD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- KNIFE (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- MOULD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- SOCKETED AXEHEAD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- SPEAR (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- SWORD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STIRRUP (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOKEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Photograph: 2000. KVH 28, Late Saxon stirrup mount.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Axe-head is major Bronze Age site find. 23 March. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Unknown. 1988. Drawing of a Late Bronze Age socketed axe.. Paper. 1:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...