|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Fieldwalking in 1988 as part of the Fenland Survey recovered a scatter of prehistoric flints (including a Beaker period scraper) and Roman and medieval pottery. A spread of Roman pottery and tile was also identified. Metal-detecting in 2013 recovered a medieval/post-medieval copper alloy ring.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 63 97|
|Parish:||HILGAY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
25 February 1988. Fenland fieldwalking. Field northeast of Wood Hall, south of Sandy Lane.
Good conditions, weathered ploughsoil. Weather lousy: snow storm.
Context 1. HLG BW.
Large field, originally several, contains some sherds of medieval pottery, mainly in vicinity of Wood Hall. General scatter of flints and some Roman sherds near context 2.
One flint is Beaker scraper - F. Healy (NAU).
Context 2 at 6330 9757. HLG 18.
Diffuse spread of Roman pottery and perhaps some tile, on east facing slope of island. Slope is gentle to moderate
sandy loam soil. No visible staining either on ground or on aerial photograph. About 53m east to west x about 50m north to south. However, further sherds found perhaps 30 to 40m east could be an extension or strays.
R. Silvester (NAU), 25 February 1988.
For full details of wares and flint types see (S1).
October-November 2013. Metal-detecting. .
Medieval/post-medieval copper alloy ring.
Information from PAS import.
A. Beckham (HES), 7 January 2014.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Beaker - 2300 BC to 1700 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Beaker - 2300 BC to 1700 BC)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RING (13th Century to 16th Century - 1300 AD to 1600 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: CUCAP RC8-EB 179. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. HLG 18. FENS. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. HLG BW. FENS. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Silvester, R. J. 1991. The Fenland Project, Number 4: The Wissey Embayment and the Fen Causeway, Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 52. |
|<S1>||Archive: Fenland Folders. |
Related records - none
Find out more...