|Type of record:||Building|
An early 17th century flint and brick house with later alterations. Both the house and the garden walls contains reused medieval limestone, probably taken from the site of the nearby priory, see NHER 2319.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7975 2256|
|Parish:||GREAT MASSINGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
2 builds, about 1600 at south, 18th century at north.
Flint, clunch brick in older work, 18th century work brick.
1600 build has 18th century brick ground floor window with 20th century window inserted, and 2 first floor sashes. Extension to east with 20th century openings.
Orignal west gable stack (should read east, surely?) of 1600 wing has blocked attic window and inserted ground floor window; stone quoins and gable parapet.
18th century pile has 2 ground floor sash windows, on first floor one blocked and two false painted windows.
3 sided canted 18th century bay at west includes painted false windows on 2 floors.
Fine late 18th century doorcase, semicircular in plan.
Ridge stack is original west external stack of 1600 build; also east end and north eaves stack.
Information taken from (S1).
House seen briefly in passing by E. Rose (NAU) 6 February 1988 and earlier when reused stone quoins noted, presumably from priory.
E. Rose (NAU) 8 February 1988.
The garden walls to the south also contain reused limestone.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...