|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Bronze Age ring ditch and multi-period pottery|
This is the site of a ring ditch, probably dating from the Bronze Age, visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs. Prehistoric flints, medieval roof tile and fragments of pottery dating from the late prehistoric to the post medieval periods have been found by fieldwalking.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7115 0443|
|Parish:||BARTON BENDISH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1 July 1976. OS air photography.
Context 5 at TF 7122 0440.
Positive cropmarks of ring ditch.
D. Voisey (NAU)
12 February 1987. Site BB 565 to 567.
Fieldwalking, winter cereal medium conditions.
Prehistoric flint; Iron Age sherds; Middle Saxon sherds; Late Saxon sherds; medieval sherds including Grimston and Late medieval/early post medieval.
Medieval roof tile.
Post medieval sherds including red glazed earthenware.
Thetford type ware.
See list and plot in file.
Identifed A. Rogerson (NAU)
E. Rose (NAU) 18 August 1987.
- RING DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Barton Bendish Survey. 565. BB. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Barton Bendish Survey. 566. BB. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Barton Bendish Survey. 567. BB. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS 76-125-452. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS 76-125-45. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...