|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Mesolithic and Neolithic worked flints and Late Saxon and medieval pottery sherds|
A number of finds were recovered at this location in 1986 including Mesolithic and Neolithic worked flints and Late Saxon and medieval pottery sherds.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3810 2154|
|Parish:||CATFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
February 1987. Stray Find.
Found in former orchard east of lane from church to Wood Street:
1 Mesolithic flint core.
3 Neolithic retouched flint flakes.
1 Late Neolithic 'slug knife'.
1 Late Saxon pottery sherd (Thetford-type).
Medieval sherds including strap handle.
Flints identified by J. J. Wymer. Compiled by W. Milligan (NCM), 11 February 1987.
Finds apparently donated to the Norwich Castle Museum (apart from the Mesolithic core which was retained by the finder), although these do not appear on the current list of accessioned objects.
Information from (S1). Discoveries reported in (S2).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 4 June 2014.
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CORE (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- RETOUCHED FLAKE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- PLANO CONVEX KNIFE (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: 1988. Archaeological Discoveries for 1987. CBA Group VI Bulletin. No 33 pp 30-56. p 42. |
Related records - none
Find out more...